Thiruvananthapuram – Kasaragod Semi High-Speed Rail Project
Project at a glance
|Name of the Project||Semi High Speed Rail Project from Thiruvananthapuram to Kasaragod (Named as SilverLine).|
|Executing Company||SPV of Kerala Rail Development Corporation Limited (KRail)|
|Project Length||529.45 kms|
|Gauge||Standard Gauge of 1435 mm|
|Operational Speed||200 kmph|
|Travel Time||4 hrs (approx.)|
|Construction Period||2020-25 (Five Years)|
|FIRR||5.84% over 30 years and 8.49% over 50 years|
|EIRR||24.04% over 50 years|
|Type of Train||EMU type train set-9 cars Extendable to 12/15 cars|
|Seating||2+2 (Business), 3+2 (Standard) 675 Passengers in 9 cars train|
|Ridership||79,934 in 2025-26|
|Power Supply||From KSEBL through solar & other renewable energy.|
|Signal &Comm.||ETCS Level 2 with LTE|
|Stations||11 including Kochi Airport|
|Project Cost on Completion||Rs 63,940.67 Crores|
1. Structure of Route Length:
|Total Length||529.45 Kms. (Centre line to Centre line of Stations)|
|a) Viaduct||88.41 Kms|
|b) Tunnel||11.52 Kms|
|c) Cutting||101.73 kms|
|d) Bank||292.72 Kms|
|e) Cut & Cover||24.78 Kms|
|f) Bridges||12.99 Kms|
|Total Route Length||532.185 Kms. (End to End of the route length)|
2. Station names with chainage and inter distance:
|Sl.No.||Name of station||Chainage(KM)||Inter-station distance (KM)||Elevated / At grade|
|6||Kochi Airport Station||212305||16998||At grade|
3. Traffic Forecast :
Thiruvananthapuram – Kasaragod: Ridership over different horizon years.
Estimated Ridership Forecast for Different Horizon Years for Thiruvananthapuram – Kasaragod
|Average Trip Length (km)||200||200||200||200|
4. Civil Engineering:
4.1 Underground Structures
4.2 Super structure for bridges, Viaducts etc.
4.4 Bank Top width
4.5 Cutting bottom width
NATM method of construction. Cross
Either box Girder or double ‘U’ type girder. Generally, 30m in length.
Supported on single columns generally
4.6 Track Structure
4.7 Min horizontal Curve Radius
4.8 Min Vertical Curve Radius
4.9 Max Cant
4.10 Permissible Cant Deficiency
4.11 Permissible Cant Deficiency (maximum)
4.12 Max Gradient
1 in 60
4.13 Distance between Track Centres
4.14 Car Width
4.15 Max. Axle Load of car
16-17 Ton (UIC Loading Standards)
4.16 Width of Track Formation
4.17 Tunnel Cross Section (Standard
- Operating Speed: 200 KMPH
- Maximum Design Speed: 220 KMPH (structures designed for 250 kmph)
6. Train Operation:
The train operation plan has been taken for headway of 15, 15,10 and 10 minutes in the year 2025-26, 2029-30, 2040-41 & 2052-53 respectively during the peak period.
7. Traction Power Supply
- Traction feeding system : 2X25 KV Auto Transformer Type feeding
- SystemCurrent Collection: Over Head Contact System (CCS)
- Power Requirements:
8. Rolling Stock:
To start with, 9 car Train with the capacity of 9 car is 675 passengers. This train length can be increased to 12/15 cars in future with capacity of 900/1125 passengers respectively.
- Type of Train: EMU with 9 cars extended as 12/15 cars
- Train Carrying Capacity: For 9 cars, 675 passengers
- Train Length (in meter) incl. auto coupler 9 car train – 225 m (approx.) :15 car train – 375 m (approx.)
- Length of Coach : 25.00 m (average)
- Width of Coach : 3.4 m(maximum)
- Height of Coach : 4.5 m
- Axle Load (T) : Maximum Axle load is taken 16 – 17 Ton for Passenger Train, design proposed as per UIC load.
- Coach construction : Lightweight equipment and coach body aluminium body
- Propulsion : Traction circuit & configuration: 3 phase drive system with VVVF Inverter control using IGBT and asynchronous traction motor / PMSM
- Braking system: Electric Regenerative brake with continuous blending of Electro Pneumatic friction brakes and parking brakes.
9. Train Control:
Continuous automatic train protection with continuous transmission of permanent movement authority (ETCS Level 2 System based on LTE Radio Communication with Train).
10. Signalling &Communication:
ETCS Level -2 (European Train Control System) with LTE. LTE Communication System without loss at speeds up to 350 kmph. Cab Signalling on board system.
Automatic train control system with ATP, ATO (equivalent to GOA level2) with block length of approximately 8 km. Operation Control Centre (OCC) with Backup Control Centre (BCC) with RBC capable of handling 50 trains (approx.). Mobile Radio System, CCTV Telephone, PAS, PIDS, Clock etc.
11. Fare Collection:
Central Computer System (CCS), Smart Card (EMV based), Mobile Apps/ Mobile web Application, Station Computer System (SCS), Ticket Office Machine (TOM), Ticket Vending Machine (TVM)/ Self, Service Ticketing KIOSKS, Mobile Ticket Counter (MTC), Portable Processing unit (PPU), Automatic Gate (AG)
12. Total Estimated Cost
- Total Estimated Cost Without Taxes (at March 2020 Prices): Rs. 49918.70 Crores (inclusive of land).
- Total Estimated Cost with all taxes& duties (March 2020 base): Rs.55053.83 Crores (inclusive of cost of land).
- Estimated completion cost with all taxes, land cost, Escalation & IDC: Rs 63940.67 Crores (inclusive of cost of land).
13. Proposed Fare:
Rs. 2.75 per km in Standard Class.